Update: A day after releasing watchOS 8.6 beta 4 to developers, Apple has made it accessible to public beta testers as well.
A week after delivering watchOS 8.6 beta 4 to developers, Apple has seeded the fourth test version of the next Apple Watch operating system. Here’s a rundown of what’s new in the watchOS 8.6 beta.
The current build is 19T5570a. The majority of the press around this version is on Apple Pay and Apple Wallet, both of which are capabilities present in iOS 15.5 beta 4. Here are the most recent updates:
- In Wallet settings, the physical Apple Card is now referred to as the “Titanium Card.”
- In the Messages app, Apple Pay has been renamed “Apple Cash.”
- In the Wallet app, iTunes Pass has been renamed to “Apple Account Card.”
iTunes Pass will be replaced by a new card dubbed the “Apple Account Card.” This card, like the Apple Card and the Apple Cash card, will be visible in the Wallet app.
Instead of needing to display a QR Code while buying at an Apple Store, the customer will be able to finish the transaction using Apple Pay.
Unlike watchOS 8.5, watchOS 8.6 seems like a minor upgrade as we approach the WWDC 2022 keynote. The most recent update of the Apple Watch operating system includes 37 new emojis.
It also includes:
- Having the authority to approve Apple TV purchases and subscriptions;
- COVID-19 immunization cards are now available in Apple Wallet, which now accepts the EU Digital COVID Certificate format.
- Updates to irregular rhythm alert aimed at improving atrial fibrillation detection (available in the United States, Chile, Hong Kong, South Africa, and many more countries where the functionality is accessible);
- In Fitness+, audio suggestions give audible commentary on graphically depicted motions throughout exercises.
WatchOS 8.6 beta 4 is now available, along with iOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, tvOS 15.5, and macOS 12.4.