Have you ever struggled to find the right keyboard symbol on your Mac? Or want to explore the hidden symbols that will save you time on every task? Mac has an extensive list of keyboard shortcuts that can help you work faster and more efficiently, and this guide will teach you how to type hidden Mac keyboard symbols.
Detailed Discussion on How to Type Hidden Mac Keyboard Symbols
Typing symbols on Mac is an essential skill that everyone should have, whether you’re a writer, designer, or just a regular computer user. Here’s how to do it:
Using Keyboard Shortcut
Mac has a built-in system to create keyboard shortcuts for any symbol or character that you use frequently. Follow these steps to create a keyboard shortcut for the symbol you want:
1. Open “System Preferences” from the Apple Menu in the top-left corner of your screen.
2. Select “Keyboard” from the list of options.
3. Click on “Text” on the top.
4. In the left-hand bar, click the + icon at the bottom.
5. In “Replace” box type your keyboard shortcut, and in “With” box paste the desired symbol.
6. Click “Add” and you have created a custom shortcut for it!
Now, every time you need to use that symbol, type your keyboard shortcut and see the symbol appear in your text.
Using the Emoji and Symbols Viewer
Whenever you can’t find the symbol you need on your keyboard, use the Emoji and Symbols Viewer. Simply follow these steps:
1. Place cursor where you want to type the symbol
2. Press “Command + Control + Space bar” simultaneously
3. The Emoji and Symbols Viewer dialog box will appear.
4. Select the symbol you want to use and click the “insert” button
5. The symbol will appear at the cursor position.
6. You can also use the search bar to find the symbol you need.
You can use this method to find multiple symbols that aren’t readily available on your keyboard.
Using the Character Viewer
If you’re a writer, you will need many special characters that aren’t even in the Emoji and Symbols Viewer. In this case, you need to access the Character Viewer. Here’s how to do it:
1. Place the cursor where you want to add a special character.
2. On the top navigation bar, select “Edit,” then “Emoji & Symbols.”
3. A window will appear; click on “Character Viewer.”
4. Here, you can choose the category of special characters from the left column and select your symbol from the right column. You can choose, for example, Arabic symbols, Latin symbols, currency signs, etc.
5. Double-click on the chosen symbol, and it will appear in your text.
Also, you can use the search bar to find the symbol you want.
Concluding Thoughts on How to Type Hidden Mac Keyboard Symbols
Typing hidden Mac keyboard symbols is not as difficult as it may seem. Creating keyboard shortcuts and accessing Emoji and Symbols Viewer and Character Viewer can save you a lot of time and hassle in the long run. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to find any symbol you need in no time!
FAQs about How to Type Hidden Mac Keyboard Symbols
Can I add a custom symbol to my keyboard?
Yes! You can use third-party apps like TextExpander to create custom keyboard shortcuts for any symbol or character that you want.
How do I find symbols that aren’t in the Emoji and Symbols Viewer?
You can use the Character Viewer, which includes a vast array of characters and symbols in different languages and scripts.
Can I use these tips on other Apple devices, like an iPhone?
Yes, you can access these same menus and options on your Apple iPhone or iPad by following the same steps outlined in this guide.
Knowing how to access hidden Mac keyboard symbols is a useful skill. Not only does it make your work more efficient, but it adds a new level of comfort and ease to your typing experience. Use these tips in your daily workflow and start typing like a pro!