You can copy, cut, and paste text in a variety of ways with Vim. The ability to swiftly and easily relocate code within a file can have a dramatic impact on work efficiency.
While with Vim it may take a few more clicks than they would with a mouse to acquire the desired text selection, this is par for the course when using a mouse.
Using the following instructions, you may delete anything after the current line in Vim.
How to Cut from Cursor to End of Line in Vim?
While in Normal mode, use the D (uppercase) key to do a cut from the cursor to the End of the Line. When you’re ready to paste, just press p (lowercase).
In Normal mode, pressing upper-case D will cut and copy the selected text to the clipboard from where the cursor is now located.
You can then move to the desired location and hit p to paste after the cursor. Alternatively, you can hit uppercase P to paste before the cursor.
- D (uppercase) – Cut from cursor to end of line
- p (lowercase) – Paste after the cursor
- P (uppercase) – Paste before the cursor
Another method to achieve a similar result is to use the keys v$d. Hitting v (lowercase) will put you into Visual mode, hitting $ (dollar sign) will move the cursor to the end of the line, and finally, hitting d (lowercase) will perform a cut operation.
How to Copy from Cursor to End of Line in Vim
To copy from the cursor to the end of the line in Vim, use the y (lowercase) key combined with the $ (dollar sign) key while in Normal mode. With y$ you will perform a “yank” operation from the cursor to the end of the line and only copy the text. You can then move to the desired location and paste as you did before with p or P.
Here are a few more “yank” (copy) operations you can perform with the y key:
- Y (uppercase) or yy – Copy the entire line
- y$ – Copy from the cursor to the end of the line
- yaw – Copy the current word, including trailing whitespace
- yiw – Copy the current word, excluding trailing whitespace
- ytx – Copy from the cursor to the character before x
- yfx – Copy from the cursor to the character including x