Are you a Windows user who wants to use Linux commands as well? If yes, then you have ended up in the right place. In this article, we will discuss how Linux Bash shell works in Windows 10. You will learn how Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL) allows you to run Linux commands on your Windows machine and the benefits of using it.
What is Linux Bash Shell?
Bash shell is a shell program that allows you to run commands on a Unix or Linux operating system. It is a crucial component of Unix or Linux command-line interface (CLI). Bash stands for Bourne Again Shell, and it was created by Brian Fox for the GNU project as a part of the GNU operating system.
Why Should I Use Linux Bash Shell on Windows 10?
As we mentioned, if you are a Windows user who needs to use Linux commands, you can install the Linux Bash shell on your Windows 10 operating system. There are numerous benefits of using Linux Bash shell, including:
– Access Linux commands on your Windows machine
– Run Linux scripts
– Learn Linux commands and improve your skills
– Utilize Linux tools on your Windows machine
– Develop cross-platform applications
How to Install Linux Bash Shell on Windows 10?
To install Linux Bash shell on Windows 10, follow these steps:
1. Open the Windows Start menu and search for “Turn Windows features on or off” and click on it.
2. Scroll down and check the box beside the option for Windows Subsystem for Linux.
3. Click OK and restart your computer.
4. After restarting, open the Microsoft Store app and search for the Linux distribution of your choice. (For example, Ubuntu, Debian, Kali Linux, etc.)
5. Choose the preferred version and click on “Get/Install”
6. After that, launch the distribution from the start menu or run it from the Command Prompt by typing the command “wsl.”
Accessing Files from Windows in Bash Shell
As a Windows user, you might want to access your Windows file system from Linux Bash Shell. Fortunately, you can easily do this by navigating to the /mnt directory. In this directory, you will see all your drives mounted from Windows.
Running Linux Commands in Bash Shell
Once you have installed the Bash shell on your Windows 10, you can run almost all Linux commands as you would on a Linux operating system. For Example, to check the version of Linux, you can run the command:
In conclusion, installing Linux Bash shell on your Windows 10 machine has numerous benefits, such as running Linux commands, scripts, and tools on your Windows machine. It also provides the opportunity to learn Linux commands, which can be beneficial. With the help of the Windows subsystem for Linux (WSL), running Linux commands on a Windows machine has become easy and straightforward.
Q: How many Linux Distributions are supported by Windows Subsystem for Linux?
A: Currently, Windows subsystem for Linux supports a few Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE Linux Enterprise, and Kali Linux.
Q: Is it possible to run GUI applications on the Linux Bash shell in Windows 10?
A: Yes, it is possible to run the GUI applications, but you need to install a third-party tool such as VcXsrv or Xming for this purpose.
Q: Can I use Linux commands in the PowerShell command prompt?
A: Yes, some Linux commands can be used in PowerShell command prompt by invoking it with “bash” command.