When Apple introduced the waterproof feature with its Watch Series 2 in 2016, it was a game-changer for swimmers and other watersports enthusiasts. However, since then, there have been reports of users encountering issues with the Apple Watch mic not working while swimming. This is a frustrating problem as users are unable to use features such as Siri or take phone calls while in the water. In this post, we will discuss why this problem occurs and how you can troubleshoot it.
Detailed Discussion on Apple Watch Mic Not Working Swim
Why Does the Apple Watch Mic Not Work While Swimming?
The root cause of the problem lies in how sound travels through water. Sound waves travel much faster and more efficiently through air as compared to water. When you are swimming, the sound waves generated by your voice are dispersed in the water instead of being transmitted to your Apple Watch’s microphone, which is located on the device’s side.
What Can You Do If Your Apple Watch Mic Is Not Working While Swimming?
If your Apple Watch mic is not working while swimming, you may follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- Ensure that your Apple Watch is correctly placed on your wrist.
- Make sure that the water lock is turned on. To access the water lock feature, swipe up from the bottom of the watch screen and then tap on the water droplet icon. This feature prevents the water from interfering with your Watch’s screen or enable touch screen commands while swimming.
- Ensure that the microphone is free from any debris or water droplets. You can use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the watch’s side surface.
- If the above steps do not work, you may try to reset your Apple Watch by pressing and holding both the side button and digital crown simultaneously. Once the Apple logo appears, release both buttons and wait for your watch to restart.
How to Avoid the Apple Watch Mic Not Working While Swimming?
To avoid the problem, you can follow these tips:
- Use a swim cap or earplugs to prevent water from entering your ears. This helps reduce the water’s interference with the sound waves produced by your voice, making it easier for your Watch’s microphone to pick them up.
- Speak louder and closer to your watch’s microphone. Try to place your mouth just above your Watch’s side surface while speaking.
- If you need to attend an important call while swimming, you may use a Bluetooth headset with your Apple Watch to avoid any issues with the mic.
Concluding Thoughts on Apple Watch Mic Not Working Swim
Despite being a revolutionary device for swimming enthusiasts, Apple Watch’s microphone may not work correctly while underwater. However, the issue is avoidable with the proper use of the device’s water lock feature. Additionally, using a Bluetooth headset while swimming can provide uninterrupted access to Siri and phone calls.
FAQs About Apple Watch Mic Not Working Swim
1. Can the Apple Watch microphone work underwater?
Although the Apple Watch microphone is water-resistant and can withstand exposure to water, it’s not fully waterproof. The mic may not work underwater due to the soundwaves’ inability to travel efficiently through water.
2. Why does the Apple Watch have a water lock feature?
The water lock feature is designed to lock the screen to prevent water from activating the touch screen commands while swimming or engaging in any other water sports. It also helps avoid unintentionally tapping or activating apps on the watch face.
3. How can I unlock my Apple Watch after activating the water lock feature?
To unlock your Apple Watch, rotate the Digital Crown clockwise until you hear a beep. This will unlock your Watch’s screen, and you can access all its features.
In conclusion, the Apple Watch mic not working while swimming can be a frustrating problem. However, you can troubleshoot the issue with the above-mentioned methods or use a Bluetooth headset while swimming. Remember to always follow proper care and maintenance guidelines to ensure your Watch’s longevity and proper functioning.