Summer, once you feel or hear that word, the first thing that will come into your mind will be pools, beaches, and other hot summer activities that can help beat the heat of summer.
If you have a private pool, you should know that it is crucial to have a pool pump.
Pool pumps are vital because it controls your swimming pool’s whole operation, without the pump, your pool’s cleaning system will not function, and the water cannot filter the pool sufficiently.
If you don’t have a pool pump or plan to buy a replacement, let us help you out with your purchase.
Top 10 Best Pumps for Swimming Pools Reviewed
When purchasing pool pumps, there would be a lot of things that you should consider. You’ll consider the pump’s horsepower, type, brand, price, energy efficiency, and more.
To help you out with your search, we have reviewed ten different types of pool pumps for your convenience. The products that are listed down below are the best pumps for the money.
1. Intex Sand Filter Pump for Above-Ground Pools
When it comes to purchasing pool merchandise, the Intex name is the most well-known and trusted brand. With their Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter, you can always keep your pool clean and debris-free. One of the best ways of keeping your pool clean is by using sand filters.
This type of pool pump can help pick up more dirt from your pool than the other products. It can pick up more debris and algae that are floating in your pool’s water. Not only is this product useful in keeping your pool clean, but it can also help you save time and costs. The pump only requires to be cleaned once every five years.
Here are some of its best features:
- It has a 24-hour built-in timer
- Has a strainer basket for easy cleaning
- Generates a flow rate of 2,800 gallons of water per hour
- SSix-functioncontrol valve that allows the filter to rinse, backwash, drain, re-circulate, filter, and close the system
- All the parts are installed on the item
2. Hayward Super Pool Pump
This pump product is a technologically advanced pump that blends cost-effectiveness with very durable construction. The Hayward Company has set the standard of excellence and value with titsproducts. The pump is designed for all sizes and types of spas and in-ground pools.
The pump’s impeller features a higher flow rate by using less horsepower, unlike other pumps that are sold on the market. That means you can save more on electricity when you use this pool pump. Also, the pump comes with a 100 ccubic-inchbasket for an extra leaf-holding room. It extends the in-between time of cleanings.
Here are the pproduct’sbest features:
- It has a swing-way hand knob. It makes the strainers cover easy to remove as it doesn’t ahave ny kinds of tools.
- The strainer’s cover is see-through, making it easier for you to see if the basket needs cleaning.
- Very easy to install as it only requires simple servicing and installation
- The oversized debris basket will require less maintenance.
3. Intex Cartridge Filter Pump
Here is another high-quality pump from Intex. This cartridge pool pump will make sure that your pool always stays refreshing and clear all summer, and this is thanks to its 2,500 GPH filter pump.
This pump is made explicitly for above-ground pools. It is effortless to install and only requires little effort when assembling. This pump is unlike the others. It insulated and had an automatic timer which you can pre-set in 2 to 12-hour cycles.
With this product, you will also get one replaceable filter cartridge that is straightforward t maintain.
Here are its best features:
- Very easy to use, change the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks
- Double insulated pump
- An air release valve to release air that is trapped inside the filter’s chamber
- Sediment flush valve
- Ideal to be used on 18 feet metal frame, 18 feet easy set, or 18 x 10 feet oval frame pools
4. Hayward Power-Flo LX Series
Like most people, you would also want to purchase an item that would be worth the price, right? So we provide you with another durable product from Hayward. With this product, you will surely get your money’s worth. The Power-Flo LX series is uniquely designed for above-ground swimming pools.
The pump’s large profile and integrated style make the product ,unlike the other products. It has a large debris basket that will help keep your pool maintenance to a minimum.
With the machine’s heavy-duty but high-performing motor with an integrated auto-thermal overload protector, you can surely use the pump’s operation for many years.
Here are more of the product’s features:
- Clear covered basket allowing you to see if it needs cleaning
- CCorrosion-proofthermoplastic housing great for all types of weather cconditionsQuiet operation
- Its drip-proof and hheat-resistantdouble-sized seal allows it to have a long motor life.
- The pump is designed for both above and in-ground swimming pools.
5. Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
One of the best features of this Pentair SuperFlo pool pump is its quiet operation. The pump is stocked with an ultra-quiet TEFC motor, which is why it creates less noise, unlike other pool pump products.
This is also one of the only pumps with a real-time, 24-hour clock, together with an advanced digital display. The feature is straightforward to monitor and program. This pump is also the only VS replacement pump available that doesn’t need any expensive rewiring.
This product runs on either 115 or 230-volt power. Another great feature of this pump is that it has an easy-access wiring compartment, which will make the connection fast and very straightforward.
Here is a summarized description of the product:
- It has a real-time 24-hour digital clock.
- The digital control pad is straightforward to use
- Uses an ultra-quiet TEFC motor or Enclosed Fan-Cooled
- It has three programmable speeds. Also, it has an override capability.
6. Wayne Automatic Water Removal Pool Cover Pump
This product has a maximum flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour using a one ¼” hose. The pump comes with a check valve with a ¾” adapter of garden hose to reduce the repetitive cycle. It is also included with a 25-inch power cord and a 25-inch pulling rope, which will help you position the pump on the pool’s cover.
With this water removal pump, you would surely be glad to have especially when you wake up to find a pool with a lot of debris. Wayne’s product is an excellent solution for excess water buildup and debris.
The pump has automatic freeze protection, which will help protect it from ddamage
Other features of the pool pump:
- It is ean nergy-efficient, oil-free, and hhigh-flowpump.
- Built-in auto freeze protection to prevent damage to the pump
- Plug it in and leave the pump unattended for worry-free removal of water.
- Built-in iSwitch technology automatically turns the pump on or off upon sensing the water’s presence.
7. Harris ProForce Pool Pump
This Harris Pool Pump is not as expensive as the other well-known pool pump products, but do not underestimate it as it provides you as much power and great function as the other renowned pumps. You will be surprised by the outstanding result and durability of the product.
The pump is designed with corrosion-proof, heavy-duty housing. It also comes with a stainless steel motor casing made of a reinforced thermoplastic body to provide more durability and lifespan.
It is also made with advanced engineering for your convenience. The motor creates less noise but still provides high-efficiency performance.
The product’s features:
- The motor shaft is constructed with a thermoplastic body for a longer lifespan and high durability.
- Exceeds the ETL and CCSArequirements
- Its advanced engineering provides you with minimum noise and high efficiency.
8. Blue Wave Maxi Replacement Pump
It has the same quality as the Sta-Rite, Pentair, and Hayward. It also has a self-priming pump for easy cleaning. Also, it has a clear lid to allow you to see if it needs cleaning or draining.
This pump can fit most filter systems. It has a dual-port design for either horizontal or vertical discharge. This powerful replacement pump for above-ground pools features a corrosion-proof construction, which will deliver you many years of reliable service.
Here are a few more features of this product:
- It requires 110-volt power.
- The ppump’sclear lid will allow you to clean it easily.
- It is available in two sizes: available in 1 HP or 1.5 HP pumps.
9. Sand Master SSoft-SidedSand Filter System
This is an economical pump and a sand filter system upgrade for aabove-groundpools that are soft-sided. Its system is suitable for swimming pools that are up to 9,600 gallons and features a robust system base, 20 GPM pump, and a four-position multiport valve.
The 12-inch corrosion-proof filter tank can hold fp to 42 lbs. of sand. The pump’s package is included w complete pump to filter the hose, two 11.25-inchx 7.5 feet hoses, and all the necessary fittings. The system is straightforward to install and can be operated on 115-volt power.
10. Little Giant Pool Cover Pump – Cheapest Pool Pump
With the Little Giant, you can easily prepare your pool for the next season in just a snap. Easily pump out all the standing water from your winter pool cover. This pump works great for water transfer jobs in households.
The great thing about this product is that it requires no installation. It also features a ¾ inch connection for a garden hose and a removable intake screen for easy maintenance and cleaning. The screen helps ensures that the debris doesn’t clog your pump.
Finding the Right Size of Pool Pump
Pool filters are usually oversized and will often fit into your pool, but with pool pumps, it needs to fit in your pool perfectly. Having the right size of the pump will filter throughout your pool for 8 hours or more.
You need to determine the specific numbers needed for your pool, here’s what you should look for in a pump:
Desired GPM (Gallons Per Minute) Flow Rate
This is the essential thing that you should look for in a pump. This is the number of gallons per minute that your pump needs to pump to circulate your whole pool in 8 hours.
Resistance (The Feet of the Head)
This is the average length that it takes for your skimmer to reach the pump. If you have a single skimmer on your in-ground pool, then this would be the number. But if you have a few more skimmers, you’ll have to find the average length of each.
Here are four steps that you can follow:
- Find out how many gallons of water tour pool holds.
- It would help if you found out how many gallons per minute (GPM) your pump needs to pump.
- Measure your pool’s Feet of Head
- Look for the best suitable pump for your pool.
What is a Pool Pump?
First of all, what is a pool pump? LAswe have mentioned earlier, it is a device that controls the pool’s whole operation. So basically, it is the swimming pool’s heart in the flow system.
The machine’s primary role is to draw the water out of the pool from the main drain. The skimmer will then push the water through the filtration system and send it back to the swimming pool.
Here are the main components of the filter pump:
- Hair and Lint Trap
This trap prevents the pool’s debris from getting into the impeller’s assembly.
A pool pump uses an electric motor that uses 110 or 220 volts of power. It spins for up to 3 450 rpm. Most pool pumps are air-cooled, meaning it isn’t completely sealed from their surroundings. However, it would help if you were careful not to let the excess water get into the motor through the cooling vents that are underneath the housing.
This component is attached at the end of the motor’s shaft. Its role is to generate hhigh-pressurizedwater in the centrifuge, and the pump’s motor also drives it. Once the impeller turns, it pushes the water into the impeller’s outer edges. The water will exit through the pipe that leads to the filter.
Useful: Want to know how much water is in your pool? Check pool calculator
3 Types of Pool Pumps and ITheirPros and Cons
These past years, and for the years to come, the manufacturers of pool pumps have improved their machine’s capabilities. These pumps used to be only a single-speed mmotorsthat pumps water from the pool through the filter system and then back in. But now, the pumps come in three types, which are single-speed, variable-speed, and dual-speed motors.
Here’s a brief review of the different types of pool pumps:
Single-Speed Pool Pump
This is the most common type of pool pump available in most stores. The single-speed motor spins the impeller at only one speed; the amount of power exerted will depend on the motor’s horsepower.
- It is highly capable of pumping water.
- The speed is constantly set on high, ensuring excellent water circulation throughout your swimming pool.
- It is relatively popular even with the release of other types of pool pumps.
- Affordable and can be found easily when making replacements.
- It is cheaper than different pool pumps, but not as energy-efficient as the other pool pumps.
- Uses more electricity since it constantly pumps water at high speed
- It is much louder than the other pool pumps
Variable Speed Pool Pump
If a single-speed pump is the most common type of pump in the market, then the variable speed types are the most popular in stores. These pumps are trendy, but at the same time, the most expensive ones, unlike the conventional pumps.
Unlike tingle or dual-speed pumps, tariable speed pumps use a permanent magnet motor, which is the same as those used in electric cars. The magnetized motor will let you set the flow rate at any speed that will best suit your pool. The less friction of the motor will be equal more efficiency.
- It operates on a PMM or permanent magnet motor.
- It lasts longer than the other pumps.
- Creates less noise
- The pump is cooler than the other pumps.
- Save more money on energy costs.
- It is programmed to pump only what is necessary for your pool.
- The speed is set automatically when the pump needs to do a different task.
- This pump is much more expensive than single and dual-speed pool pumps.
Dual-Speed Pool Pump
As the pump’s name implies, this pool pump has two optional speeds, set to low and high. The pump’s high-speed option operates like the single-speed pump, while the low-speed option will allow the pump to operate at a slower speed.
If you are cleaning your pool or dealing with a water issue, you can set the pump’s speed to its normal high speed. But if you are not dealing with any pool issues, you can run the pump at a low speed to save energy.
This is becoming much more popular than single-speed pumps because of their ability to use less energy.
- It is more versatile than the single-speed pump
- It is mainly used for the circulation and filtration of water
- Speed can be set from low to high and vice versa.
- The low-speed setting will allow you to save money on energy costs.
- The low-speed option creates less noise.
- The high-speed option will ensure great water movement and will provide better suction
- A bit more expensive than single pumps
- The low-speed setting is too low for some pool heaters to operate.
- Provides little flow when used on above-ground swimming pools
- The parameters needed to be changed manually
- It may be as loud as single-speed pumps
To Wrap Up!
As you can see, there are a lot of excellent pool pump products that you can choose from. It will only depend on which of the products you would prefer to use. To give you an idea, for us, the best product on this list is the Intex Sand Filter Pump. Unlike the other products, this pool pump can suck up the smallest debris you can find in your pool.
Most pool pumps don’t have this feature, which makes it a great choice. If you haven’t decided on the best product for you yet, then you can try this pool pump out.