Are you tired of constantly transferring movies from your external drive to your iPad, only to find out you don’t have enough storage space? Well, we have some good news for you! With the latest version of iPadOS, you can now watch movies directly from your external drive. No more worrying about storage space or transferring files back and forth. In this article, we will guide you on how to watch movies from an external drive on your iPad with iPadOS.
Before we dive into the details, here are some things you need to prepare:
- Your iPad with iPadOS
- An external drive that uses USB-C, USB-A, or Micro-B connector
- A Lightning to USB adapter for USB-A or Micro-B
- A USB-C hub or adapter for USB-C
- The movies you want to watch saved in a compatible format (MP4, M4V, and MOV)
Connect the External Drive to Your iPad
To play movies from an external drive on your iPad, you need to connect the drive to your iPad via the Lightning to USB adapter or USB-C hub/adapter.
- Step 1: Connect your external drive to the Lightning to USB adapter or USB-C hub/adapter.
- Step 2: Plug the Lightning to USB adapter or USB-C hub/adapter into your iPad.
- Step 3: Unlock your iPad and select ‘Allow’ if it prompts you to ‘Trust This Computer.’
- Step 4: Open the Files app on your iPad. You should see your external drive listed under ‘Locations.’
Play a Movie from the External Drive on Your iPad
Once you have connected your external drive to your iPad, it’s time to watch your favorite movie. The Files app on your iPad makes it easy to locate and play movies directly from your external drive.
- Step 1: Open the Files app on your iPad.
- Step 2: Select your external drive under the ‘Locations’ section.
- Step 3: Navigate to the folder where your movies are stored.
- Step 4: Tap the movie you want to watch. It should start playing automatically.
Watching movies from an external drive on your iPad with iPadOS has never been easier. Not only does it save you storage space on your iPad, but it also makes movie-watching more convenient. With just a Lightning to USB adapter or USB-C hub/adapter, you can now enjoy your favorite movies directly from your external drive. Give it a try, and you’ll never look back!
1. Can I play any type of movie from my external drive on my iPad?
No, you cannot. To play movies on your iPad, they need to be in a compatible format, such as MP4, M4V, and MOV.
2. What if my external drive is not showing up in the Files app?
First, make sure that your external drive is compatible with your iPad and that it’s connected properly. If it’s still not showing up, try restarting your iPad or disconnecting and reconnecting your external drive.
3. Can I fast forward or rewind the movie while playing it from the external drive?
Yes, you can. When the movie is playing, you can use the playback controls at the bottom of the screen to fast forward, rewind, or pause the movie.
4. Do I need an internet connection to play movies from my external drive on my iPad?
No, you don’t. Playing movies from an external drive on your iPad doesn’t require an internet connection.