As of iOS 14, iPhones and iPads automatically download and install software updates whenever they become available, to keep your device up to date with the latest enhancements and security fixes. However, some users may wish to disable this feature. In this article, we’ll discuss how to disable automatic updates on your iPhone and the reasons behind it.
Reasons to Disable Automatic Updates on iPhone
There are several reasons why you may want to disable automatic updates on your iPhone:
– Data usage: While app updates may not consume a large amount of data, updating the operating system can take up several gigabytes of mobile data. Automatic updates can be particularly troublesome for those on metered connections or with limited data plans.
– Storage: An update to the latest iOS version can require several gigabytes of storage space temporarily, which can be problematic for those on devices with limited storage space.
– Compatibility issues: Sometimes, an update can cause compatibility issues with certain apps or hardware that were working fine prior to the update. Disabling automatic updates can avoid this.
How to Disable Automatic Updates on iPhone
Here’s how to disable automatic updates on your iPhone:
Step 1: Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Scroll down and tap on “General.”
Step 3: Tap on “Software Update.”
Step 4: Tap on “Customize Automatic Updates.”
Step 5: Toggle off “Download iOS updates” and “Install iOS Updates.”
Once these options are switched off, your iPhone will no longer download or install iOS updates automatically.
Concluding Thoughts on Disable Automatic Updates iPhone
Disabling automatic updates on your iPhone can help in managing your data usage and storage. However, it is recommended that you regularly check for available updates and manually download and install them whenever possible to ensure the latest security patches and bug fixes.
FAQs about Disable Automatic Updates iPhone
1. Can you still update iPhone apps after disabling automatic updates?
Yes, you can still update iPhone apps even after disabling automatic updates. Just go to the App Store, tap on “Updates,” and manually update the apps you want.
2. Is it safe to disable automatic updates on iPhone?
While it is generally safe to disable automatic updates on your iPhone, it is crucial to ensure that you regularly check for updates manually and install them to keep your device secure and up-to-date.
3. Will disabling automatic updates impact battery life?
Disabling automatic updates should not have any significant impact on battery life. However, downloading and installing large updates manually may consume more battery power than automatic updates, depending on your usage patterns.